Friday, February 3, 2012

birthdays

Birthdays are funny. A day to celebrate you, a day to celebrate your life and a day to just be you.
When you’re little they are an exciting day, usually involving a party with friends, gifts and cake.
With a birthday in early February, my parties centered around the snow and ice. Which was fine with me I love skating and the snow. [Come to think of it, that might be the reason that winter is my favourite season and might explain why I love hockey so much. In fact I’m sure it plays a huge part in it.]
After all the 'kid birthdays' they start to be the same. Usually parties centred around booze, in my case around the SuperBowl as well [I'm not a football fan, never was and probably never will be, but I've kind of embraced SuperBowl weekend and shared the stage].
This year was different though, I'm in a huge city, where I know next to no one. But I had to do something for me, it was my day. I decided to go to a pub, that I had never been to and have some wings (I can't remember the last time I had pub wings). So I found the pub, did a walk by to find it looked crazy busy, 5 o'clock on a Friday probably isn't the best time. I couldn't help the day my birthday fell on. So I went it, it was busy so I was seated at the bar [I wasn't overly excited about that, but it was probably for the best]. The bartender was cool, I ordered a beer and wings. I was at the end of the bar and the seat beside me was empty, so I enjoyed my wings in silence. A guy did eventually sit beside me but I didn't talk to him at first cuz I was finishing my wings, I had forgotten how messy they are! I eventually figured out that he worked there. After I finished my wings and was enjoying my second beer. The guy beside me was talking to one of his co-workers, I couldn't help but eavesdrop, even though I didn't hear the whole thing, his co-worker was inviting him to a games night, drinking games from what I understood. Now I'm not a big fan of drinking games and it's been a few years since the last time I've played any, but some how that is how the conversation started with this guy haha. I was going to call it quits after my second beer, but I thought what the heck it's my birthday and I said something along those lines to the bartender, who wished me a happy birthday and told me that it would be on him. He also tried to get to me to do a shot, but I said I didn't want a shot. I'm not really a fan, plus the beer was just fine with me. I talked with the guy that was sitting beside me for a while longer, then I paid my bill and left. I was home pretty early for a Friday night birthday, but I had a good time.
I totally skipped over the fact that I went to see the movie, Big Miracle, about the 3 California Grey Whales what where trapped in the ice in Point Barrow, Alaska, in 1988. It's based on a true story. I really enjoyed it. One downfall, and it wasn't the movies fault, but there were a bunch of little kids at the movie. They were pretty well behaved during the movie though.
I also shouldn't skip over the fact that I spent a good hour in the Apple store waiting to pick up my computer, with it's new hard drive. A new hard drive wasn't exactly what I wanted my first major purchase to be in the Apple store, but I guess my new iPhone will have to wait.
All in all, a good birthday!
~believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment