Sunday, December 25, 2011

A different Christmas for 2011

Happy Christmas!
If you have ever spent a Christmas away from home, I can only assume they get easier after the first one. Needless to say I had a bit of an emotional day and I sort of knew I would. Seeing as I know next to no one in this huge city I had decided that I would go to the movies. For years I seen movies with the release date of Christmas Day and always thought 'why would you go to the movies on Christmas Day'. After making this decision to go, I've found out that that lots of people go and I wasn't even the only one that was there alone. I might have been the only one that saw 2 movies at 2 different theatres though.
Before today it hadn't really felt like Christmas to me. There are no decorations in the apartment, I've had my presents bought and wrapped since November 5th, which is strange all in its own. I also didn't want to have to mail them, so I left them in NB. I also had received mine before I left or so I thought. Mom sent me a Christmas card and in the card was an envelope that said not to open until Dec. 25th. Even though I am not a fan of surprises, I did as it said. Inside was a little note wrapped around what looked like coupons. The note said that if I checked my bank account there was money and I was to use it to buy some of the things in the pictures. My mom had gone through the flyers and cut out things that I liked, the last one was probably my favourite, it was hockey memorabilia, at first glance it looked like it was just Habs stuff but then I noticed Santa and whiteout marks. Mom not only took the time to cut out these pictures for me, she also took the time to whiteout the Leafs crap, haha. I guess all I have to do is decide what I am going to buy.
After I opened my present(s), I got ready and was out the door by noon. I guess I hadn't looked out the window because I was pleasantly surprised to see big snow flakes falling. I love snow, might sound crazy. But winter is my favourite season, so I embrace the snow and I enjoy walking in it. So I liked the nice Sunday stroll to the Metro station and there wasn't much traffic and I looked forward to the walk to the theatre from the Metro, which was a good 20 minute walk. The parking lot was empty and like I said there wasn't much traffic. I have been to the mall or a couple of malls in the last few weeks and there were just crazy, so it was a bit of a surreal feeling to see no one around. As I got closer to the theatre there was more activity. I went into the theatre and really enjoyed the first movie. I went to see We Bought a Zoo, I honestly didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. It's based on true story and ultimately a book. I hope to read the book someday (I got the sample on my Kindle to remind me) and maybe even visit that zoo! Who knows.
It was 3:30 when I left the theatre, which was one of the times I was looking at for my next movie and since it was obvious that I wasn't going to make that one, I took my time walking to the Metro station and enjoy the snow that was still falling. When I arrived at my next destination, I found myself walking through an empty mall, well it wasn't empty there were a lot of people, only all the stores were closed. Since I was early for the movie, I needed to find a place to eat. When I was leaving the mall to head over to the Forum, I saw that there was a McDonald's. I just walked past it, because I did not want to have my Christmas Dinner at McDonald's, well I saved it for Plan B (but hoped it wouldn't come to that).
So I headed down the Rue Sainte Catherine, still loving the magical feeling of the snow. I saw a pub on the other side of the street but I wasn't sure if it was open or not. So I kept walking, it was cold but I knew I would find the right place, although I don't think I would the perfect place. I found a place that sort of felt like home, a bit. I went into a Sports Bar and Restaurant. I was pretty sure Turkey Dinner wasn't on the menu so I ordered a hot chicken sandwich. I ordered in French, but the waitress answered me in English, I don't know if I will ever get used to the switching backing and forth (not that it confuses or shocks me at the time, it's just strange when I think back). The meal itself wasn't the greatest, the gravy was salty and they used beef gravy, which I'm not really a fan of on my chicken sandwiches. I left the bar not long after 5 and continued on the same side of the street. Once I eventually crossed the street I found I pub I thought might have been more interesting, but would I honestly have been able to admit that I had Christmas Dinner 2011 at 'The Cock and Bull Pub'?! haha
I arrived back at the Forum still early for the 6 o'clock movie, I went to the washroom and it gave kind of a behind the scenes of the Forum. I could see what the Forum looked like before it was transformed into what I saw today. Big steel beams, big elevator doors and of course everything in red and blue. Also it was quiet, which is probably why I had time to think about it. That building is filled with so much history, every time I visit, I'm reminded of it. I got my ticket and then I just sat in 'Section 210'. There were a couple of families around, one little girl that just wanted to 'go higher' as in the higher seats. A mother that was pretending to play hockey to amuse her kids. And then I said a little something to the Ghosts of the Forum, asking them to look after the boys in the Bell Centre.
I went down to the theatre (did I say before that it is a 3 story theatre?). Since the theatre wasn't ready yet, I sat down for a minute but then across the room I was surprised to see a poster for Goon, a movie that I already very much looking forward to and hopefully I will see it in that theatre on February 24, the day it comes out (I honestly, can't think of a better way to see it, more on that another time).
The second feature of the day was War Horse. Another movie based on a book, I'm not sure if it's a true story but it was a great movie.
Needless to say both movies tugged on the heart strings. I got home at about 20 after 9, called home and just like that Christmas Day 2011 was done.
We'll see what the week holds but I have decided that I am not going to the Boxing Day sales tomorrow. I've spent enough time in packed malls the last couple of weeks, tomorrow I think I will stay away. Besides there isn't much or anything that I have to have tomorrow, after that we'll see.
~believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment