Wednesday, June 6, 2012

hockey-nearly off season ramblings

I didn't really have anything to say Sunday, so I didn't post. This post will be a bit random though, I've got a few things to say.

First I just want to comment on the CBC's 'special' While the Men Watch that I mentioned in my last post here. I did try to watch the show, but I couldn't even get past the first whistle, which was less than 30 seconds into the game. I think what bugged me the most was they had next to no knowledge of the game. I knew that before but it just hurt to watch/listen to them.
There was a little bit of pushing and shoving at the start of the game, to which one of the girls said something along the lines of "ohh we have guy on guy action already." It's the Stanley Cup Finals!! Of course there is going to be contact between the teams!
I kind of wanted this show to work and I really think it could, but not with those two. Against my better judgement I did tune in later in the first period but they were questioned what the Stanley Cup was made of! "gold, white gold...well if it was given by an Italian...." and I regretted it. I should mention that there were 4 people involved in the show, the 2 women hosts, a man that was listening to the game and chiming in with some knowledge of the game or what was going on and another women that I think was taking care of the social media. She offered to google what the Stanley Cup was made of but I didn't stick around long enough to see what they had to say about it. [btw it's silver!]
I turned them off for good after that, but I still think it could work. I think the problem with the show is, well first of all it was obvious that they were new to being in front of the camera but aside from that. The CBC should have hired some ladies that have some knowledge of the game. It's definitely easier for play on words or innuendo if you know what you are talking about. "Guy on guy action" that's not very original.
Anyway I guess long story short their lack of hockey knowledge is where they lost me. That was 3 games ago, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Game 4 is tonight and the LA Kings are one win away from hoisting the Cup!!

The second thing I want to talk about is the new or new again coach of the Montreal Canadiens, Michael Terrien. I'm still on the fence about how I feel about this and I haven't read too much about it. I feel like anyone that writes about it, is just writing their own opinions [which I totally am haha]. Yes, he coached the Habs but that was 9 years ago. I don't even really remember that and I don't think it really matters. Who knows what it will be like this time around but since it's the off season it's all about what he did before. Which I agree with but I don't at the same time. Nine years is a long time, a lot has changed. He has since taken the Penguins to the Stanley Cup Finals, which I, personally, don't think matters all that much. People love that cuz it's something to talk about. We all know that the Canadiens aren't the Penguins, we don't have the same players and who knows what will happen this season, then again who knows what will happen with summer! The draft is coming right up and there are some contracts to be negotiated.
I did learn or changed my opinion on something this week. How important it is to have a bilingual coach. I don't to think it's because I am close minded, I just didn't understand why it mattered. My thoughts before were "the other 29 teams only speak English, not every player in the Habs dressing room understands French, but most understand enough English to get by." But after I listened to The Kaufman Show on TSN this week [the show lasted close to 4 hours on the pod cast]. I realized it's not about the players or everyone else in the league. The Canadiens play in French province! Most of the media here is French. It would be best for the local fans and media to not have to translate what the coach is saying.
After The Kaufman Show, I also became more of a fan of Terrien. Honestly, we the fans can't choose the coach, but those who can have picked him and we have to give him a chance. No one is perfect, but we won't know how good or bad he will be without giving him a try.
I kind of would have liked to see Patrick Roy, but he has no experience as an NHL coach so we couldn't even begin to talk about how good or bad he would be. All we would have to talk about is a) his career [he left Montreal on probably not the best terms, but again he was a player not a coach at the time] and b) his coaching in the QMJHL, which he coaches boys, not men [also he owns the team he is coaching or part of it and that would have been brought up].
Time will tell.
I think I had something else to write about but I forget and I think this is long enough for tonight. Off to watch the game!

~believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment