Sunday, February 12, 2012

Habs Tweetup

Let me start by saying a day doesn’t go by that I don’t check Facebook. If for some reason I can’t check it the next time I can I scroll all the way through to make sure I didn’t miss anything.
While I don’t have the same feeling for twitter (that might change), I get tweets sent to my phone by those that I wish not to miss what they have to say (Facebook probably does something the same but it’s just not the same to me). In case you don’t know, Twitter is a like a micro-blog. You have 140 characters to speak your peace (as you can tell if takes me a lot more than that). I don’t tweet much, I guess it’s because I have a hard time narrowing my thoughts down to 140 characters. (I’m at 550plus and haven’t even started about the tweet up, see what I mean. haha).
I think I would be on twitter more if I have a decent smart phone, but I don’t yet so I’ll just keep doing what I am doing.
So seeing as I am not on twitter all the time I miss a lot, there is always to much to catch up on, so I don’t even bother. I had heard of these Tweetups before but hadn’t been involved in one. I told my mom a few weeks ago that if I heard about one and could make it, I would go. If nothing else to meet new people and fellow Habs’ fans! [Seriously, do you know how hard it is to just up and move to a huge city where you know next to no one and to try and make friends?!]
So I heard about this tweetup [not from the original source, from a retweet by one of my mobile updates]. At first I was really excited, a Habs vs Leafs game on not only Hockey Night in Canada but on Hockey DAY in Canada!! I didn’t RSVP right away. It was suggested that you wear your Habs gear. I’ve got my fair share of Habs shirts (no jerseys of my own), however, they didn’t all make the trip and the ones that did are usually worn as pjs, so I would not be wearing them out in public. [I can’t remember if I mentioned it here but a couple of weeks ago I purchased a couple of Cammalleri jerseys shirts, but I wasn’t sure how they would be received. So I decided not to wear them.] After my initial excitement to attending the event, the girl in me was second guessing it, ‘I had nothing to wear.’ haha I was at the Habs Zone, just Tuesday but I didn’t buy a shirt, I honestly didn’t know which player I would want, that will take some consideration.
I had decided that I wasn’t willing to spend a lot of money on a shirt, even though I would wear it more than once. I had also decided that as long as I found a shirt I would attend. On Friday while I was ‘in town’ I found a shirt, in the price range I was hoping and it was exactly what I wanted, a red one with the logo on the front.
I RSVP’d, planning to attend but was still nervous, it’s intimating for me to show up someplace new and try to fit in.
I ended up there early [I swear, if I’m not fashionably late I am the first to arrive]. Since I was early I contemplated turning around and walk out. But I didn’t.
I really don’t know what I expected, maybe a bit more excitement and loudness, like the atmosphere at a rink, I guess, then again it was in a pub.
Before puck drop there was a ceremony to honour Mats Sundin. I’ve never been a fan of his and I won’t even pretend to be. Also I had forgotten that Summerside, PEI was hosting Hockey Day in Canada and we caught a glimpse of the Miramichi Timberwolves and the Summerside Capitals, that made me miss home a bit.
The scoreless first period also made for a quiet pub, but during the first intermission there was a few trivia questions passed out. All the questions had to do with Hockey Day in Canada. I didn’t know the answers, not many people did and we were not allowed to use our phones haha, so I guessed. I obviously didn’t win for the correct answers but apparently I had the second best?! I don’t know how that happened, actually I’m pretty sure it was because I listed 4 towns in PEI, but I said Crapeau for a personal laugh.
In the second period the pub got a bit livelier when the Habs scored. Since I was in the mindset of being at the rink, I wanted to clap at nice saves and penalty kills but I was the only one, so I stopped that as soon as I tried to start haha.
Everyone was very happy at the end of the game, when our Habs not only won but shut out the Leafs! The last shutout by the Habs in Toronto was in 2003 and Theodore was in net, that feels like a lifetime ago!
It’s been a while since I actually watched a game. Usually I’ve been listening to them on the radio. It’s even more uncommon for me to watch a game with Habs’ fans, for some reason I always find myself surrounded by fans of other teams. Needless to say it was a lot of fun! I can’t wait for the next one!
~ believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment