Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Celeb spotting in the Old Port

...are NHL players considered celebrities?!? They are 'famous' right?! At any rate who could we have possibly met in the Old Port?! Click read more to find out, fyi there are pics! [and a back story, I know! I just have so much to say. OK click now.]

OK so here is the teaser pic, then I'll tell the story, then the pic of me and Mr Mystery [I don't know why the suspense, just go with it haha]

So I'll try to keep the story short, but you know. haha 
On the drive back to Montreal, I was checking my facebook [I was the passenger, just to clear that up haha]. And I came across a wedding picture and story of my favourite Pittsburgh Penguin goalie, Marc Andre Fleury. He happens to be my sister's favourite player. [We met him in Pittsburgh but that's another story for another day haha]. I used my sister's phone to look at the pictures and save one for her to see later. It was then that I read the little article that was with the pics and I found out that he was married in Montreal!! I also looked at all the pictures of the hockey players that were in the city for the wedding. It just figures that the one weekend I leave town, Sidney Crosby comes to town. 
I was a bit disappointed for not knowing but, what could I have done. I closed the phones and got on with my life. haha 
We had decided that we were going to go out to eat, but couldn't pick a place. I wanted to go to the Old Port to pick up a gift for one of my aunt's that I could send back safely to NB with my sister. Plus I just like the vibe at the Old Port. [Honestly, it never crossed my mind that we would run into an NHLer!] 
We still hadn't decided where to eat so we just wandered around. My sister decide on Le Cage, because she had never been. I had only been once before so I was fine with it, plus I like sports bars! [shocker, I know! haha] We decided to eat inside because we thought it might be a bit cooler temp wise [it wasn't]. Now I've said before that I watch people [I need to bring that back haha]. My seat was facing out the window so I was watching people out the window. There was a big fireplace between the windows [this is important to the story].
I was looking out the windows on the left side when this tall, buff, blonde haired guy caught my attention, probably took .5 seconds for me to realize who it was... "Just saw Jordan Staal, swear to God!" were my exact words. haha Of course he went 'behind' the fireplace before my sister saw him. We then saw him in the other window, we might have rushed out the door to talk/meet him but we were waiting on food. I managed to snap the pic above. He and his wife were headed up a street that ran perpendicular to the one we were on. I was pretty excited just to see him! He is the first celebrity or NHLer that I have seen just walking on the street in Montreal.
After we ate and paid our bill [half an hour later or so], we left Le Cage. I half jokingly said "want to go looking for NHL players?!" Luckily my sister was all for it. Now I didn't think we had a snow balls chance in hell to see Jordan Staal again, so when we rounded the corner and my sister said "he is right there". I sure didn't believe her, partly cuz I didn't see him. 
I eventually saw him too and he was sitting with his wife on a patio, we walked past him, unsure if we should say hi or not. Now I wanted to say hi/get a pic. I didn't have anything worth his autograph, I mean his signature on some piece of paper isn't worth anything and it would just be special to me. I'd rather have a picture.
My sister just wanted "paparazzi style" pictures, and would have told him that. But I thought that was kind of worse. They didn't have food in front of them, so I thought it wouldn't be any harm to just say hi and get a picture. My sister finally agreed. I approached them, Jordan's wife was facing me and I think she knew I was a fan. From what I remember she smiled, when I asked Jordan for a picture she was ready to take my camera and get a picture of my sister and I with Jordan. Again, my sister isn't a big hockey fan so she took the picture for me. I rambled of course, cuz apparently that's what I do. But they were very nice. I congratulated him on his wedding [their were married this summer and I don't know her name, sorry :S]  and I wished him luck on the up coming season. [He was traded to the Carolina Hurricanes, where he will play with one of his brothers!]. I also apologized for bothering them and said something about not being bothered too much here in Montreal, cuz no one really recognized him. When we left there were a couple of guys behind us and they were kind of wondering who Jordan was. I hope we didn't really start anything. 
Here is the pic:

There wasn't anything else very exciting that went down that night and my sister left the next morning. And like that the weekend and visit was over.
And if you read that all you deserve a gold star! haha :)

~believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment