Monday, July 2, 2012

Free agent Frenzy!!!

So I don't follow the draft we found that out last post. So it should come as no surprise that the first of July [Happy Canada Day, eh!], I don't spend it glued to my computer or TV for the Free Agent deals. I do, however, never leave home without my cellphone, which includes my TSN updates and Twitter up dates.

I was just finishing up lunch when I read a tweet from Colby Armstrong, at this point I hadn't received the TSN update. The tweet read "I am so happy to have just agreed to a one year deal with Montreal. So pumped. My fav childhood team. Can't wait#dreamcometrue #habs". I checked some of the other tweets [I can't actually go on twitter, with my ghetto phone. #firstworldproblems] and sure enough, they  said the same thing [sometimes accounts get hacked so even though it was Army's account, I wasn't 100% sure].  So of course I had to tweet my thoughts "Been an @armdog fan since I saw him in the 'burgh!! Now I can openly cheer for him!! <3 #Habs #mtl". Needless to say I am a fan and have been for a few or 5 years.
Back story time...I actually became a fan before I saw him play. Sometimes I start to like a player based on his off ice personality and this is the case for Army. Since it was 5ish years ago, I am going to guess that I was looking up Sidney Crosby interviews, you guessed it on YouTube. Sidney and Army played together in Pittsburgh at the time [now that I write it, it might have been because of on the to book about Sidney Crosby. I remember a pictures of the two of them goofing off. Whatever the case maybe].  I found these videos of him and his roommate in Junior. There was a move and showing off their apartment. And he was soo funny. [I just remembered in my favourite quotes on facebook I have one by him "some guys, you know they're real into it they cut it off. I'm lazy, I do this: smush'er down, the good 'ol smusher and it's good to go." He was talking about taping the blade of his stick.]
So when I went to Pittsburgh to see the game [and meet Crosby, I'll post that story another time.] I bought three sh-ersys [t-shirt jerseys] a white Crosby one [because I already had a black one], a grey Evgeni Malkin one [because he was new-ish(too lazy to check the dates and I don't remember haha) to the team and I liked the way he played], and finally a black Amstrong one [because well I just liked him].
I can't tell you his story on making it to the NHL, but I don't think he played the year he was drafted in fact it probably took a few years [I think he 'clicked' with Crosby is why he stayed]. Again, I am not looking up his stats or history but I know that he was traded from the Penguins to the Thrashers [now the Jets] for a few years. I kind of forgot about him until he was traded to the Leafs [have I mentioned I don't like the Leafs?! haha]. I still can't really tell you what he did with the Leafs, I think he was there for 2 season, but he was injured for part of that.
Earlier this week, I read that the Leafs were going to buy out his contract, meaning he would be looking for a new team as of July 1st. I read a tweet shortly after that said something like he would be a decent pick up for Habs. I read it and didn't think much of it, I didn't think my team would pick up someone I rally liked. So I just carried on as usual, until I read the tweet from him yesterday!
Needless to say I was really excited!! Even if it's just for one season! I've already started collecting my pennies for an Armstrong 'sh-ersy', I've liked him long enough that now that he is on my team I feel like I need one! [don't worry Davey, I still think you are awesome!]
I was talking to my mom, so I of course told her the news [I was excited, still am]. After that I carried on with my day, there were other signing but none that really mattered to me.
I was on twitter [I was home at this point] killing time before I went out for the fireworks. And a player by the name of Francis Bouillion starts popping up with the word Habs involved. Another long time favourite of mine, and when I say long time, I mean long time. I don't even know what year but it was in the 90s, when he played for the Fredericton Canadiens. I was at a game with my dad and after the game there was a skate with the players, so we did. I don't remember meeting or talking to all the players, but Francis Bouillon [and Jose Thedore] was one of them. Dad and I had been fans of him ever since. Again, I don't know his whole 'getting to the NHL story' but I know he started in Fredericton [they don't have a team anymore] and we saw him play there! Again not looking up the stats, but he was traded to the Nashville Predators a few years ago, I don't think it was a messy trade, I mean he is coming back so it couldn't have been bad. haha
Of course, I called dad to tell him, since I knew he liked him and would be happy. While I was talking to him I remembered this:


When I moved into my apartment I knew there was a rink near by [I saw signs, I don't have hockey ESP, wish I did haha]. One day I was on an adventure that took me by said rink and well you can probably guess that it made me happy. haha I meant to write about it before but didn't get around to it and didn't really think the story would be too relevant, but it works perfectly for this post.
Since I already mentioned Davey, I have to mention what I read earlier..."Bouillion says he and buddy David Desharnais are going to have a 'serious discussion' about the number 51 and who gets to wear it." 
As a veteran I kinda think Bouillon is going to get it, which would mean that I might get strange looks for wearing my Desharnais shirt. And thankfully I didn't get an actual jersey! I don't think I ever will buy one, at least not with a current player's name.  [update: July 5th Davey is gonna keep #51, Frankie B will take 55  and Army is going to wear #20, the same number he had in Pittsburgh.]
Yesterday the Habs also signed Brandon Prust [he played for the Rangers, I recognize the name but don't really know anything about him].
And today Carey Price's contract was finalized, 6 years. 
So welcome Army and Prust!! Welcome back FrankieB!! And happy new contract Cowboy Carey!!

~believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment