Saturday, April 21, 2012

an exciting Friday night, spent at home

So last night, I was doing my usual following the NHL playoffs. More importantly the Penguins game. See just a few days ago they were down 3-0 in the best of 7 series and some of the games had been 'rough'. I predicted [read hoped] that the Penguins would advance to the next round. So I hadn't had a chance to see the games, but followed the activity on twitter [yes, I spend more time on twitter now, it's more up to date and more things going on then facebook]. So for game 4, I had to watch, if the Penguins were going to lose I was going to watch Sidney's last game of the season! Well how I survived game 4, I have no idea, with all the holding my breath and heart stoping action. I somehow managed it and the Penguins beat the Flyers! [I knew they weren't going out that easily.]
So for game 5, last night, I was way calmer. I have no idea why, the Penguins were still down 3 games to 1. But after the Penguins took the lead in the game 3-2, I just knew they were going to win, and they did! Game 6 is in Philly, so we'll see how that goes!

I wasn't only watching the Penguins game, I was on twitter seeing what I could find on updates of the Slammers game. You see I lived in Woodstock for 3 years while I was going to college. In those 3 years I only missed 3 home games! Since I moved I haven't followed them too closely but I do try to keep up to date from time to time. I knew they were in the playoffs and last night was game 7 of the Kent Cup final. [The Kent Cup is the trophy awarded to the winner of the Maritime Junior A Hockey League. As one of my friends put it 'their version of the Stanley Cup'.] There were lots of tweets during the game, but when it ended in a tie, the tweets were few and far between. No news is good news, I told myself. There was the odd tweet in the first overtime, to announce a penalty and then another early in the second overtime for another penalty. The next tweet came after the second overtime to saying they were still tied. Then one announcing the start of the third overtime, at this point I imagined the packed rink in Woodstock, cheering and supporting the team. Not long after that tweet came on that said that the Slammers had scored and were the 2012 Kent Cup Champions! I may have been bouncing with excitement, my last year in Woodstock, the Slammers won, so this title means they have won twice in the last 3 years!
Now, there are only a few players still on the team from when I was there but I was still excited from them and for the community! Their season is completely over yet though. This Wednesday they will be in Kanata, Ont to play for the Fred Page Cup. [4 teams from Eastern Canada compete in this tournament. The Slammers will represent the MHL, there will be a team from Quebec, one from Ontario and the host team.] I'd like to wish the Slammers the best of luck at this tournament, I know they had a great year and I hope they do good! [If I could find a way to be in Kanata, I would so be there!]
My night didn't end there. I was also writing, so when I took a break to check twitter, I was struck with a couple of tweet about the Predators and Red Wings. During all the Pens and Slammers action I didn't even notice that the Preds were one game away from advancing to the 2nd round and they did! The Preds beat the Wings in game 5 to advance!! So I was happy and had a good hockey night!! The Pens play tomorrow afternoon, lets hope they force game 7!!
~believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment