Sunday, April 29, 2012

Third time's a charm!!

The 2012 Fred Page Cup Champs are none other than my Woodstock Slammers!!!! [OK, so I moved away from Woodstock 2 years ago, but I still cheer for the Slammers and claim them as my team. haha]
The Fred Page Cup is a tournament that determines the Eastern Canadian Junior A Champion. The tournament consist of 4 teams, the winner of the Maritime Hockey League [Woodstock], the Central Canada Hockey League [Nepean Raiders], the Quebec Junior AAA Hockey League [Princeville Titans] and a predetermined Host team [Kanata Stallions]. The Winner of the Fred Page Cup goes to the Royal Bank Cup, which determines the Canadian Junior A Champion.

Five teams participate for the Royal Bank Cup, the Eastern Champion [Fred Page Cup winner], the Central Champion [Dudley Hewitt Cup], the Western Champion [Anavet Cup], the Pacific Champion [Doyle Cup] and the Host team [predetermined by CJHL]. Other than that I don't know a whole lot about the Royal Bank Cup. I've only been following Junior A hockey since 2007, even then I've never been much for number crunching and following the stats too closely.
Why the 'third time's a charm'?
This trip marks only the third time in the Slammers have made it to the Fred Page Cup. Kind of a big deal considering they have only been in the Junior A league since 2003-04, just 9 seasons.
My last year in Woodstock, the Slammers won the Kent Cup [champions in their league and a ticket to the Fred Page Cup]. I had the opportunity to go with the team to Brockville, in 2010. Unfortunately they lost every game that year. [Actually this year marked the first time they won a game at the Fred Page Cup.] It was heart breaking to see them get so far and lose.
Needless to say as a fan I was excited to hear they won the Kent Cup again this year and they would have a chance to compete for the Fred Page Cup once again. So third time winning the Kent Cup [2nd in 3 seasons]. The third trip to the Fred Page Cup. And not only did they celebrate their first Fred Page win, they had 2 wins more to advance to the finals [3-0 in round robin play]. On top of that they had 3 goals in the final game to win the Fred Page Cup.
You still with me on the threes...the third goal was scored by none other than number 3, Sam Caldwell. And if you think 13 is an unlucky number, then why did number 13, Nick Huard, have a game saving blocked shot in the third period [fyi he doesn't play net, he's a center].
Since I now live in an entirely different province then the team, I obviously don't get to watch them play and I certainly don't follow their stats like I used to. So I am sure there are other coincidences that are 3-related but this was just what I noticed, since their trip to Kanata, Ont.
Without hardcore 'Sidney Crosby' number crunching, I'd say 3 is a damn lucky number for the Slammers. And I wish them nothing but the best as they represent not only Woodstock, but New Brunswick and all of Eastern Canadian Junior A hockey in Humbolt!
I'm sure all of Slammernation is already really proud of what they have accomplished and I'd be shocked if there wasn't a heros welcome when they arrive back in NB!! [Of course, I think a lot of Woodstock made the 8.5 hour trip to the nation's capital to see them play and ultimately win it.]
Good luck as they compete for the Royal Bank Cup!!
*edit* It just occurred to me that there are 3 provinces between NB and Sask! Interesting. ;)
*2nd edit* The Slammers left NB on the 3rd of May. That is all.
~believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment