Monday, April 9, 2012

the end of a season

Every spring around this time, 14 teams in the NHL suit up for their last game of the season. Unfortunately for me this year my 'now hometown' team, the Habs won't be appearing in the playoffs. But their last day, game of the season turned out to be pretty good for me.
I got up a little early, for a Saturday. I was waiting to hear from a friend who was in town and I also was planning to go to the used equipment sale at the Bell Centre. Around noon I was ready to head out, the sale was going from 10-3, I didn't want to go early because I thought it would be busy then and if I went too late there wouldn't be anything left. Not that I had plans on buying anything. I remembered going to the AHL Canadiens' sales [or at least one] when I was young and the Baby Habs played in Fredericton. I remember buying a stick with Dad. I forget who it belonged to, but I remember it had a pretty much straight blade with a weird curve at the end.
Anyway, I didn't know what I would find at an NHL used equipment sale. What I found first was the Habs Zone [the store that sales Habs merchandise in the Bell Centre] full of people. OK, not full but there were more people there than I had ever seen there before, it might have been because it was game day, I had never been in on game day. The Habs Zone, just might be my favourite store ever, however, it's expensive so I haven't spent much money there. From the Habs Zone you can get in to the Bell Centre, which is convenient during games. Today it was opened up and in the hall way of the Bell Centre was the used equipment. There were jerseys, sticks, skates, pucks, gloves, socks and a set of goalie pads. I did one look around but the first thing I noticed was the prices, I wasn't willing to pay an arm and a leg from something I wouldn't use. I ended up getting one thing, it's The 2009 NHL year in pictures. 
Funny story when I bought it, it was wrapped in plastic so I could look at it but it was only 10 bucks and I know it was worth more than that. So I was talking to my Mom, again before I really looked at the pics and I tell her it was worth it, cuz of the price and I said something like 'whoever won the Cup that year, whatever'. haha Well once I got home and opened it, I had to laugh [Mom I don't think I told you this part]...which team did win the Cup in 2009?! The Penguins, of course! *smacks forehead* how I forgot that, I don't know. So it was 10 bucks well spent!! haha
The only other thing I considered buying what these numbers, for jerseys. They were signed. The only reason I didn't get them is because they didn't say who's autograph was on them. They were 1s, so I figured the autograph with 11, was Saku. And I assume the 13 was Cammalleri, but it didn't say so I wasn't going to get it on a hunch. Dad wanted me to look at the skates "size 6EE for cheap", I didn't think they would have any and well there were a couple of pairs of size 6 but they were 175$, I was not spending that much on a pair of used skates! Did I already say everything was expensive?! Everything was expensive! haha There were autographed pucks for 50 bucks but again didn't say who signed them and they mostly looked like a scribble! I'm sure if you were a hardcore collector you'd know.
So I left there and still hadn't heard from my friend so I went to Canadian Tire, they had a pot and kettle on sale [25$ for both and I saved 35$!]. Why is the fact that I bought a pot and a kettle important? I didn't bring any pots, pans or any dishes with my from NB, so I all I had up until this point was 2 cast iron frying pans that I got from the lady I stayed with before [no cooking utensils though], 3 glasses and one of each of the following bowl, plate, knife, fork and spoon. Oh and I had bought a paring knife and cutting board. Needless to say a new pot and kettle meant I could do some cooking! [Unfortunately it was Easter weekend and I didn't go to Loblaws on Saturday, so I had to wait until Monday for Easter dinner... haha].
After CT, I took my stuff home and waited, did I mention that the last tweetup of the season was that night and I was still planning to meet my friend.
Before 5 I finally heard from said friend and we arranged to meet up, the tweetup started at 6, but again I didn't want to be early. So I met up with my friend, we went to a music/used book store and then for coffee. A quick visit but a nice visit, it's always nice to see people from back home. Around 6 we parted ways and I headed to the Pub.
I had seen on twitter that the Pub was packed in the afternoon, so I had hoped it would have cleared out some but 6, unfortunately for me/fortunately for them it was still packed. You see the Toronto Soccer team was in town to play the Impact [Montreal's soccer team] and then of course the Leafs were here to play the Habs. So as I am told, there was probably a lot of people from the Tdot here to see both games. 
And since the Bell Centre is pretty much around the corner from the Pub, there were there to see the soccer game and then headed to the game. Which was in fact true, the place eventually cleared out. 
During the game we lost the sound and were switched to RDS which then lost the sound too. So eventually were listening to music while the game was on, that was unfortunate but nothing we could do about that. Also during the game there was talk about some TSN guys showing up at the pub. The Habs beat the Leafs but it was a bitter/sweet win, cuz the season is over. This game was Fan appreciation night, after the team saluted the fans, they rolled out a carpet and a bunch of fans came out with signs. Apparently they had won 'the shirts of their backs', meaning the Habs took their jerseys off and gave them to a fan. I had see it done in Pittsburgh before but everyone at the pub was surprised to see the Habs doing it. Also I have forgotten to mention 'cowboy Carey'! Carey Price was diagnosed with a mild concussion, so for the last 3 games of the season he hasn't played, but he came out before the game to receive the MVP of the season, for the Habs. And true to his roots, he was wearing a cowboy hat, a vest and a big belt buckle and I can only assume cowboy boots. Now not everyone was a fan, but I loved it! In fact I've included a pic [it's not my pic, I found it on the internet].  
Carey Price watching the warm up of the last game of the 2012 season
When I 'true to his roots', I mean in the off season Carey ropes cattle and I have since heard an interview with PK Subban, in which he said that Carey used to have a lasso in the dressing room and one time PK was going to Carey's place and the next thing he knew he had a rope around his legs, Carey had lasso-ed him while he was coming up the driveway. PK also said that Carey has a 'little horse thing that when you turn it on the legs move up and down and it kind of bounces' in his garage. And to quote PK "I love it because it's rare that you see someone like that so passionate about where they come from and who they are."

So once the game was over, someone walked in and one of the girls and I recognized him as 'someone' but couldn't put a name to the face. Then of course Annakin Slayd showed up, as well as John Lu [you know, John Lu from TSN haha].
I just hung out with my 'tweeps' and then as Annakin was walking past our table one of the guys, goes "Hey Annakin have you met Emily?" I stand, reach across the table and shake his hand, 'hi how are you?' you know. [I'd met him before but didn't expect he would remember me]. After he went on his way, I turned to my buddy and of course, classy me told him off,  haha but he laughed.  Then Annakin was stopped down the table for a hug and a picture, to which I decided I wanted too. So I went over got a pic and a hug and then I had a chat with him. I eventually got a pic with him and his brother. His brother is the manager at the pub and he MCs our tweetups, very entertaining.
Most of my tweeps were leaving and I decided I had to go back and at least say hi to John Lu. So I found him and said hi [if you don't know me, I'm pretty good with faces and names but I always assume no one knows me and I know how awkward it is to pretend to know someone when you have no sweet clue who they are, so I told him who I was again but he remembered me]. So we had a chat and talked about the game. I was also introduced to that familiar face from before [the one who we knew was someone] turns out it was a former Hab, Sergio Momesso. Why he looked so familiar to me, I saw him play in Woodstock with the Habs Alumni, mind you I don't really know him and can't say I've seen him play [besides the alumni game haha]. After that I went to the Metro station and lucky me didn't miss the last train!
Now to try and enjoy a Habs-less playoffs...
~believe.


No comments:

Post a Comment