Monday, March 28, 2011

And so it starts...

When people talk about a dead end job, I’ve always thought and hoped that wouldn’t happen to me and if it did, I would make a change. Thinking back I guess I did have a dead end job [or what I feel was a dead end job], but I left it to go back to school. After 2 years of Journalism I received my diploma but didn’t think journalism was my true calling. I stayed in school for another year and added a Digital Photography Certificate to my resume. During those 3 years of college, I was in a town that had a great Junior A hockey team. And if you know me at all, you know that I take the terms ‘ hockey fanatic’ to a whole new level. [Aside: I’ve written that story several times, even using it as the starting point of a documentary for school. I might post that story here at a later date, but not right now].

Back to a dead end job, after college I applied to a student internship as a photographer [in New Brunswick there isn’t much opportunity as a photographer unless you are willing to start your own business, which I am not. So I thought this would be a pretty good fit, for me]. I was accepted/hired to the internship. Starting off I admit I didn’t know much about the position, but I went there on the first day with an open mind, ready for anything. I also knew that I had to sign a contract for a year, with a possible 6-month extension. [I don’t want to go much into my work, because this blog isn’t going to be about that job, it’s going to be about what I am doing after that job to get my dream job].
So here I am with about four months left on my contract, and I am hoping that I don’t need the extension.
So what is ‘my dream job’ and why am I writing this blog?
My dream job is to be a professional sports photographer, more specifically a professional hockey photographer, in Montreal, no less. And this blog is going to be about the steps I am taking to make my dreams a reality. Since I am well aware that I will have to start off as a photography assistant, or somewhere near the very bottom. I just hope and pray that I will make it to the top. The top might be a ‘dead end’ job or what I think of as a dead end job [not much room for advancing] but at least as a sports photographer every day/game will be different and hopes of capturing a great moment or one for the history books, that’s what I want to do.

~believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment