Tuesday, January 15, 2013

my first year in Montreal

This was going to be a post about my first year and a review of 2012, but I don't want to talk about New Year's, so it's just going to be about my first year in Montreal. Yes, it has been a full year since I moved here [actually a year and a month because I didn't get this written or posted before now].
I've had some ups and downs but it has definitely been a great year! 
Click 'read more' to see some of the highlights, most that I have blogged about, some I haven't.

One of the first 'big city living' obstacles I had to over come was figuring out the subway, Metro. I'm lucky that the first few months I didn't have a strict schedule, I was able to come and go as I pleased. If the Metro was late or not running, it wasn't an issue for me. Actually thinking back on those first few months I don't remember any major delays, maybe I was too new to it all to know the difference. I am also pretty proud of myself, I haven't gone the wrong way on the Metro. I have seen a few people that have though and it would be simple enough to do. Here's hoping I didn't just jinx myself!

The first time I went to the old forum was pretty special. It's still one of my favourite places in the city. Not long after that I spent my first Christmas away from home, I've recently celebrated my second but obviously haven't written about it yet. Then around this time last year the Habs traded my favourite current player and I had missed an opportunity to meet him. But everything happens for a reason and it was that much more exciting to meet the first Hab I did that happened in June at the Draft Party, that I had won tickets to.

I celebrated my birthday, with an early movie then a trip to the Pub for beer and chicken wings. It's weird to have to celebrate alone, but I was still pretty new to the city and didn't know anyone yet. Not long after my birthday I attended my first Habs tweet up, which just happened to take place at the same pub where I celebrated my birthday.

A last minute plan lead me on an adventure to the Dollar cinema, I did enjoy myself but I haven't had a chance to go back.  The end of February led to apartment hunting and exploring new parts of the city. Even though Parc Jean Drapeau doesn't even feel like it's a part of the city unless you are there for a big event. I just realized I haven't been there in a while, I'm going to have to rectify that in the near future!
February was a busy month, even though it's a short one, I attended my first movie premier I didn't attend the movie, but it lead to a crazy good week.

March started off with more hockey and drinks at the Pub, remember that time I had beers with John Lu?! 

For lack of better things to do I've been to a lot of movies, but not every experience was the best.
I had a Habs filled week which may have included my attendance to a real live game before the season ended. The last game of the season was also the last tweet up of the season.

I predicted the winner of the Stanley Cup Playoffs: round 1round 2round 3, the "While the Men Watch" [I had almost forgot about this, I hope the CBC has]. I had other hockey news to talk about here. And of course the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions! Even though the NHL season was over I still had hockey talk in me, my favourite Junior A team won their league, became the Eastern Canadian Championship advancing to the  Canadian Junior A Champion where they came in second, second in Canada!


July started with Canada Day aka Free-Agent Day, which included the signing of a player that I have been a fan of for a long time. I got to meet him in October, when we he and another newly signed player played some street hockey [funny thing is neither of them had played in the Habs jersey yet, still haven't!]. I posted pictures of  how I really spent Canada Day. Also in July my sister came to visit. While she was here we ran into Jordan Staal in the Old Port.

I like, the world watched the OlympicsI got a job and it's taken over my life. I already mentioned seeing the Habs play street hockey, well we had so much fun that they invited me to the movies with them the next week!

Change of plans...I think this post is long enough. So I am going to end this one here and I will post another blog of things that happened in my first year that I didn't post yet. Look for it later today!

~believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment